Drafting Structural Designer
Job Title: Structural Designer
Department: Engineering & Project Management
Reports To: Designer Supervisor
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Prepared By: Mikael Smith, Bill Griffith, and Blake Masters
Prepared Date: May 18, 2012
Approved By: Rodney H. Masters
Approved Date: May 18, 2012
Design and layout of steel/fiberglass structures and grating systems including detailed sections of structures, grating and handrail assemblies, and grating attachment systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Design and layout of fiberglass/steel structures for quoting or final fabrication.
- Structural design support, design development, and generation of design output documents.
- Determine and develop approaches to provide structural design solutions.
- Design components of systems and modify existing designs for development and improvement.
- Uses AutoCAD equipment and/or graphic tools
- Gathers information, makes studies, performs calculations, and prepares original rough layouts and sketches to present design proposal.
- Coordinates design criteria with engineering, tooling, material, and planning group in accordance with contractual specifications.
The candidate should possess the ability to understand and calculate, using whatever means necessary. Prior engineering/estimating work experience is a plus, but not necessary. The candidate must be a team player, and must have a positive, “can do” attitude. The candidate must have good organizational skills and must be able to work simultaneously on several projects.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Engineering Design or Drafting is required.
- Previous structural drafting/design experience in heavy industrial environments, such as oil and gas, power, and mining is a plus.
- Previous fabrication experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of 3D structural modeling is a plus.
The candidate should be able to speak with confidence to small groups of people.
All required math requirements for graduation
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Light to moderate physical demands will be encountered when travelling offshore or into the field. The candidate should be able to easily handle 75 pounds of bulk weight and must be able to hold your body weight while swinging on a rope.
The work environment at AIMS does move at a fast pace. It is casual, yet professional.